Oxford Dictionaries introduced new words on Wednesday Aug 26, 2015
Here are ten of the new words and their definitions from oxforddictionaries.com:
• Manspreading (noun): The practice whereby a man, especially one travelling on public transport, adopts a sitting position with his legs wide apart, in such a way as to encroach on an adjacent seats.
• Butt-dial (verb): Inadvertently call someone on a mobile phone in one’s rear trouser pocket, as a result of pressure being accidentally applied to a button on the phone.
• Brain fart (noun): A temporary mental lapse or failure to reason correctly.
• Hangry (adjective): Bad-tempered or irritable as a result of hunger.
• Cat cafe (noun): A cafe or similar establishment where people pay to interact with cats housed on the premises:she was one of many waiting in line this morning for the opening of North America’s first pop-up cat cafe.
• Redditor (noun): A registered user of the website Reddit.
• Rage-quit (verb): Angrily abandon an activity or pursuit that has become frustrating, especially the playing of a video game.
• Mic drop (noun): An instance of deliberately dropping or tossing aside one’s microphone at the end of a performance or speech one considers to have been particularly impressive.
• Rando (noun): A person one does not know, especially one regarded as odd, suspicious, or engaging insocially inappropriate behaviour.
• Grexit (noun): A term for the potential withdrawal of Greece from the Eurozone (the economic region formed by those countries in the European Union that use the euro as their national currency).
Follow @ShareanewsBill on Twitter.
Like this. Click the social media icons below to share with your friends 🙂